The 2017 placement exam will be released on 02 June, 2017 for all students enrolled in COLWRIT 5, 6, 8, and/or 9 courses.
Information about the exam:
This is not an entrance exam. You do not need to reach a specific score in order to enroll in the Summer English Language Studies courses.* Many of our courses have multiple levels; we use your exam results only to place you into the level that best meets your language needs. Please email us if you have any questions.
- Students must first enroll in COLWRIT 5, 6, 8, or 9 through Summer Sessions to take the exam. Enrolled students will receive an email in late May 2017 with directions for taking the exam. For enrollment information, go to http://summer.berkeley.edu.
- The exam is completely online and can be taken on any computer (not on a tablet or mobile device).
- You will need speakers or headphones, a microphone, and a quiet location.
- The exam has five sections: Listening, Reading, Grammar, Speaking, and Writing.
- In order to log into the exam, you will need your UC Berkeley Calnet ID and passphrase.
- To create one, you will need the four-digit PIN and your eight-digit student ID number sent to your email from Calnet @ Berkeley.
- The link to set up the Calnet ID and passphrase are also found in this email. Sometimes this email goes to spam or junk folders, so please search there first if you have not received it.
- Students enrolled in Colwrit 5, 8 and 9 must complete the exam by 20 June 2017.
- Students enrolled in Colwrit 6 must complete the exam by 10 July 2017.
- Students enrolled in Colwrit 7 and W9 (online) courses only do not need to take the exam.
*Note: If you plan to take UC Berkeley courses outside our program, there is an English Proficiency Requirement.