High School Students
The Summer English Language Studies Program is excited to offer courses for high school students! Students will be able to enhance their English language skills while undertaking university-style work and planning for life after high school. Come experience everything that Berkeley’s vibrant campus and city has to offer.
Visiting international students will enroll in our program via the “Berkeley Pre-College Scholars: Summer Residential Program” offered by Berkeley’s Summer Sessions. Students do not have to fulfill the English Proficiency Requirement (EPR) to take classes in our program, but we can also work with students who have fulfilled it (see information about our advanced-level sections).
The Berkeley Pre-College Scholars: Summer Residential Program offers international and domestic high school students the opportunity to live on campus and enjoy the summer at Berkeley. Get involved in Berkeley courses, extracurricular activities and excursions, and workshops planned just for you. Take advantage of everything campus has to offer, while also earning college credit. Please visit the Pre-College Scholars: Summer Residential Program website for more information.
As listed on the Pre-College Scholars website, benefits the program provides to high school students include:
- Residential program housing a short walk from campus with full-time chaperones
- The addition of Berkeley Summer Sessions on your college application
- A letter of commendation from the Dean of Summer Sessions, Study Abroad, and Lifelong Learning for passing grades upon email request to email@example.com.
- Earn a Berkeley transcript that can be requested from the UC Berkeley’s Office of the Registrar
- College credit that may be transferable to another college program*
- Welcome orientation and campus tour
- Support from designated program staff throughout the program
- College preparation workshops
- Extracurricular activities and excursions
*Acceptance of transfer credit is always at the discretion of the accepting institution.
For Summer 2019, we are happy to open most of our courses to high school students**. The only courses not open to high school students are the courses in our Legal Studies strand: 9I; 9N; 9O; 6Q; W3D; and W3E.
Please note that, if you register for Colwrit/ESL 5, 6, 8, or 9 (even if you have fulfilled the EPR), you must take an online placement exam in June so that we may place you in a level that best meets your language needs. For more information about the placement exam, please visit our placement page.
**Course availability is subject to change based on student enrollment.