W9: 005. Legal English Online
Colwrit/ESL W9 (Online, Pass/No Pass only)
Section 5: Legal English and U.S. Law
This course offers an introduction to the foundations of the American legal system, and an opportunity for intensive English practice. Students will become familiar with
- the federal and state court systems,
- judge and jury trials,
- the case law method, and
- selected areas of law based on student interest (e.g., contracts, constitutional law, criminal law, torts).
Students will also
- practice new vocabulary and idioms;
- read and analyze judges’ decisions;
- organize, write and edit legal arguments;
- give oral presentations; and
- participate in formal and informal discussions.
Suitable for intermediate through advanced ESL students, this course is of special interest to business and legal professionals and students, including LL.M. students who wish to prepare for the fall semester at U.S. law schools.
Note: This course does not require students to be in the Berkeley-area during the course. Students with internet access may enroll and participate in the course wherever suits them.