Who should take this exam?
- All students enrolled in Colwrit 5, 6, 8, or 9 courses for Summer 2017
What is the purpose of this exam?
- This is a placement exam. This is not an entrance exam. You do not need to reach a specific score in order to enroll in the Summer English Language Studies courses.
- You do not pass or fail this exam.
- Its purpose is to help us place you in the best class for your English ability.
- For this reason, do the exam without any help from others or from books or websites.
How can students access the exam?
- The exam is available at https://bcourses.berkeley.edu/courses/1461802.
- You will need your current Calnet ID and passphrase to access and take the exam.
Questions or problems?
Did you know that, at Berkeley, classes start 10 minutes after their scheduled times?
Known as “Berkeley time,” this time serves as a buffer zone for students with back-to-back classes.
For example, if your schedule says you have
Class A from 9:00–11:30AM
Class B from 11:30AM–2:00PM
Class A will start at 9:10 and end at 11:30, and
Class B will start at 11:40 and end at 2:00,
giving you 10 minutes to travel from class A to B.
Similarly, if your schedule says you have
Class B from 11:30AM–2:00PM
Class C from 2:00–4:30PM,
Class C will not start until 2:10, so you can in fact take those two classes back to back.
Registration for Summer 2017 courses is officially open!
As of February 01, 2017, UC Berkeley students, visiting UC students, and affiliated international students may begin registering for summer courses.
Registration for visiting US (domestic) college/university students and international students begins on February 13, 2017.
Please see UC Berkeley’s summer application page for application links and further details.
We look forward to welcoming you to Berkeley soon!
The Summer 2017 session dates pertaining to the SELS programs are as follows:
Session D: Monday, 03 July – Friday, 11 August 2017
Session E: Monday, 17 July – Friday, 4 August 2017
We look forward to seeing you then!
A transcript is an official document. It shows which classes you took at U.C. Berkeley and your grades in those classes. If you would like to order a transcript from Berkeley, please follow the steps below.
1. Wait until September 15th. If you order your transcript before then it will be blank.
2. Go to this website here.
3. Click on ‘Start my order’ at the top of the page.
4. Enter your personal information (name, address, phone number, email, etc.). You will need your student ID number to complete your order.
5. Review your personal information and confirm it is correct.
- when you want your transcript (now, later, etc.)
- the reason you need the transcript (for yourself, for employment, for graduate admission, etc.)
- your transcript type (Choose ‘summer only graduate’ if you only studied at Berkeley for the summer. Choose ‘undergraduate’ if you will continue at Berkeley in the fall.)
7. Choose the recipient (yourself, your school in your home country, etc.). You can choose more than one recipient.
8. Verify the recipient’s mailing address.
9. Choose your delivery method (PDF or printed copy sent by mail).
10. Confirm order and choose payment method. You’re done!
Winners of “Panda Tank,” played in one of our classes. “Panda Tank” is a less vicious version of the popular American reality show Shark Tank, where entrepreneurs propose products or ideas to five business “sharks,” seeking investments.
BART is not running between Glen Park and Daly City stations this weekend (13-14 August), which might prove a major issue for students going to SFO airport.
There will be shuttle buses, but BART estimates that the trip will take an hour longer than usual. More information is available here, including in Chinese.
You can take Lyft and Uber to the airport as alternatives, but it can get pricey. And it might be difficult to get a ride as many people will be using these services.
Consider Bayporter Express as well, but we advise making a reservation at least 15 hours in advance, preferably ASAP.
Certificates of Completion are now in! Come to our office in 112W Hearst Gym from 11AM-5PM today or Thursday to pick up yours. Please bring an ID.