Can’t get into our very popular Colwrit 9N class?
Planning to join an LL.M. program and want to learn more about common law?
Enroll in our new section of Colwrit W9: Legal English Online!
Class Number 16363
This course offers an introduction to the foundations of the American legal system, and an opportunity for intensive English practice. Students will become familiar with the federal and state court systems, judge and jury trials, the case law method, and selected areas of law based on student interest (e.g., contracts, constitutional law, criminal law, torts). Students will also practice new vocabulary and idioms; read and analyze judges’ decisions; organize, write and edit legal arguments; give oral presentations; and participate in formal and informal discussions. Suitable for intermediate through advanced ESL students, this course is of special interest to business and legal professionals and students, including LL.M. students who wish to prepare for the fall semester at U.S. law schools.
Did you know that, at Berkeley, classes start 10 minutes after their scheduled times?
Known as “Berkeley time,” this time serves as a buffer zone for students with back-to-back classes.
For example, if your schedule says you have
Class A from 9:00–11:30AM
Class B from 11:30AM–2:00PM
Class A will start at 9:10 and end at 11:30, and
Class B will start at 11:40 and end at 2:00,
giving you 10 minutes to travel from class A to B.
Similarly, if your schedule says you have
Class B from 11:30AM–2:00PM
Class C from 2:00–4:30PM,
Class C will not start until 2:10, so you can in fact take those two classes back to back.
Many of our courses have multiple sections in order to allow us to provide you instruction at just the right level for your english skills.
Most sections are capped at 18 students. The only exception is the ESL 7 series, which will be capped at 25 students.
So, if you see a course in the Academic Guide that has a cap of 36, 54, or 72, do not fear! All students will enroll in one section (section 1, meeting in 119 Wheeler Hall) of the course during registration, but the individual sections of the classes will still be small.
This larger number means that we will be offering multiple levels and that we will place you into a level based on your placement exam results. You will get a small class and level-specific instruction.
See our courses list.
And register via Summer Sessions.
This article highlights our Colwrit 9N and 9O courses, including our field trips to the Supreme Court of California and the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Do you need to improve your English for school or work purposes? Take the next step in your academic or professional career with Summer English Language Studies!
Our elite program includes:
- challenging classes for motivated students, with engaging topics for even the most advanced of learners
- uniquely qualified instructors with expertise in teaching English for a variety of specific purposes
- communicative teaching methods supported by research in language learning
We are experienced with taking your learning beyond the classroom too, with unique fieldwork assignments that will help you apply classroom concepts as you explore the Bay Area. At our historic campus with world-class libraries, facilities, and special events, you will have all the resources you need to succeed!
This summer, we are introducing two new exciting levels of study:
- Prepare, with classes ideal for undergraduate students, set up to help you prepare for academic work in English.
- Refine, with classes ideal for working professionals and graduate students, set up to offer a unique challenge at the advanced level you need. These sections are reserved for higher level students based on our in-house placement exam.
Our programs are designed to fit your schedule; we offer both three and six week programs, as well as online classes. With over 65 classes to meet your unique needs and interests, we are sure you will find something that is right for you. Our classes include:
- English for Specific Professional and Academic Purposes
Advance your academic and professional career with classes in Business English, Legal Writing, English for Science and Engineering, English for Art and Design, Job Search Skills, College Coaching and more!
- English Through Culture and Media
Learn English through the topics you love – from Food Culture, Popular Music, Film, Literature, to Broadway Musicals and more!
- Intensive Skill Practice in English
Get the skill practice you need to succeed in school and work – Academic and Public Speaking, Speech and Debate, Writing for Digital Media, Conflict Resolution and more.
See our full list of classes here.
Registration opens February 15, 2018. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Safe travels to all our summer 2017 students returning to their home countries or home universities. Our program has moved back to our permanent location in Wheeler Hall 119 and are busily working on class schedules and events for Summer 2018. Keep in touch via
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ucbsummerenglish/
- Twitter and Instagram: @sels_ucb
Let us know if there is a platform we should use to best keep in touch. You can email us at email@example.com (gmail). If you cannot send to gmail, please use firstname.lastname@example.org.
A transcript is an official document. It shows which classes you took at U.C. Berkeley and your grades in those classes. If you would like to order a transcript from Berkeley, please follow the steps below.
1. Wait until September 15th. If you order your transcript before then it will be blank.
2. Go to this website here.
3. Click on ‘Start my order’ at the top of the page.
4. Enter your personal information (name, address, phone number, email, etc.). You will need your student ID number to complete your order.
5. Review your personal information and confirm it is correct.
- when you want your transcript (now, later, etc.)
- the reason you need the transcript (for yourself, for employment, for graduate admission, etc.)
- your transcript type (Choose ‘summer only graduate’ if you only studied at Berkeley for the summer. Choose ‘undergraduate’ if you will continue at Berkeley in the fall.)
7. Choose the recipient (yourself, your school in your home country, etc.). You can choose more than one recipient.
8. Verify the recipient’s mailing address.
9. Choose your delivery method (PDF or printed copy sent by mail).
10. Confirm order and choose payment method. You’re done!
MONDAY: LAST DAY TO SIGN UP!
We are approaching the end of the SELS classes! If you are interested in receiving a certificate for the completion of ESL 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or W9 course, please read carefully read and complete the request form. Requests are due by MONDAY, JULY 31 and payment dates are TUESDAY, JULY 25 – MONDAY, JULY 31, 11:00 AM ‐ 5:00 PM only.
This Friday learn about California culture, history, art, and natural sciences! There will be a DJ playing live funk and acrobat music and food trucks. Students can get in with your student ID for only $9!
Check out flyer for more details. See ya there!